Prince Charles tests positive for COVID-19
Prince Charles is believed to have met the Queen just a day before he became infectious with coronavirus.
Medical experts believe the earliest Charles would have been contagious was March 13, however new research has found symptoms can take up to 11 days to appear, meaning he could have been infectious when he met the Queen “briefly” a day earlier.
However that is a worst case scenario given the average incubaation period is 5.1 days.
The heir to the throne also met with members of the royal family on March 9, before he is believed to have become infectious.
On Wednesday, Clarence House announced Prince Charles has tested positive for the coronavirus.
The 71-year-old is displaying mild symptoms, but is otherwise in “good health”, it said.
The Duchess of Cornwall, 72, has also been tested but does not have the virus.
“In accordance with government and medical advice, the Prince and the Duchess are now self-isolating at home in Scotland,” a statement said, referring to the royal family’s Balmoral estate.
“The tests were carried out by the NHS (National Health Service) in Aberdeenshire, where they met the criteria required for testing.
“It is not possible to ascertain from whom the Prince caught the virus owing to the high number of engagements he carried out in his public role during recent weeks.”
READ MORE: Follow the latest coronavirus updates
The Prince’s last public engagement was on March 12, when he attended a dinner at Mansion House hosted by the Lord Mayor of London and the High Commissioner for Australia, George Brandis.
The dinner was in aid of the Australian bushfire relief efforts.
An Australia House spokesman said “Mr Brandis, like all staff at Australia House, is following the guidance published by the UK Government.
“He has no symptoms. All of us at the Australian High Commission wish His Royal Highness a speedy recovery.”
The Prince also had a number of private meetings with Highgrove and Duchy individuals, all of whom have been made aware.
He also reportedly attended an event with Prince Albert of Monaco on March 10, who later tested positive for the virus on March 19.
Prince Charles’ doctor estimates the royal was contagious from March 13, a source said.
Buckingham Palace said the Queen last saw Prince Charles two weeks ago.
“Her Majesty the Queen remains in good health,” it said.
“The Queen last saw the Prince of Wales briefly on 12 March and is following all the appropriate advice with regard to her welfare. We will not be commenting further.”
A small number of people living and working at Birkhall – the Prince’s retreat on the Balmoral estate – are still at the residence and are now self-isolating.
The source said the Prince and the Duchess were in good spirits and the Prince was up and about and not bedridden.
Medical advice is that it’s unlikely to escalate into a more serious case.
Prince Charles has spoken to his sons, the Duke of Cambridge and the Duke of Sussex, as well as the Queen.
The Queen, 93, is currently at Windsor Castle after heading there a week earlier than planned amid the coronavirus panic. Her husband Prince Philip, 98, joined her there after flying from Sandringham.
Prince William and Kate Middleton are in Norfolk, with Prince George and Princess Charlotte being given school lessons at home.
RELATED: Coronavirus spreads to Buckingham Palace
There were fears for the Queen earlier this week when a worker at Buckingham Palace contracted the disease.
The aide, who has not been named, fell ill and tested positive while the monarch was still at her London residence.
“We wouldn’t comment on individual members of staff,” a palace spokesman said.
“In line with the appropriate guidance and our own processes, we have taken the necessary actions to protect all employees and people involved.”
The Queen is now set to remain in Windsor for the foreseeable future.
“As Philip and I arrive at Windsor today, we know that many individuals and families across the United Kingdom, and around the world, are entering a period of great concern and uncertainty,” she said in a statement last week.
“Many of us will need to find new ways of staying in touch with each other and making sure that loved ones are safe. I am certain we are up to that challenge. You can be assured that my family and I stand ready to play out part.”
There are more than 8,000 confirmed cases across the United Kingdom, although testing is limited and the true number is believed to be much higher.